Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It is coming to that time of year

One I hate as a coeliac, I really do. Where to go for Christmas lunch/dinner/evening out?

This year it is simple. Christmas Day is at my place. My family and in-laws don't know it yet but the whole day is going to be gluten free. I simply won't allow non gluten free food in the house. In order to do this, I will need to buy and cook all the food myself, but that is the sacrifice I will make in order to not worry about what is going in my mouth.

However, the office parties I have no control over. Thta's fine, I simply won't go. People ask me why. I reply because I don't want the hassle of trying to organise a gluten free meal.

I have been flexible, I have been easy going about going to different places and trying to organise a meal. But the time for that has ended.

Once place in Melbourne made me so cross and angry. It was a work do, a work lunch. The person organising it said that - despite it being a buffet meal - that I would be looked after. She rang the restaurant 3 times to confirm that a gluten free and vegetarian meal would be supplied. Yes they said, no problem. I was reassured. Sort of. We got there. All of the other 15 people got up and went to the buffet. I sat at the table by myself. The waitress asked me if I was okay. I said I would like my gluten free meal. She knew nothing about it. She went and asked the restaurant supervisor. He went to the front desk. He went to the kitchen with a menu in his hand. It was clear he knew nothing about it. They came back to me. I could have a plain steak. I don't eat meat. Back to the kitchen.

Now they knew all this supposedly! By this time everyone had finished their soup and was on their mains or the pasta/salads. I am starving and all this food around me is being eaten.

A word on buffets. No matter how nice a restaurant - I will never ever eat from a buffet. Why? Cross containmation is the coeliac's worst enemy. I tell people I cannot take the risk of bread roll crumbs or something like that going into the salad - the only thing on the buffet that I could possibly eat . What one tiny crumb? Um yes. One tiny crumb can make me sick for days on end. I don't know about you but who can afford to be sick so often? Not to mention the damage to my insides!

Finally I get a plate of roasted vegetables. And a pot of brie cheese with salad. While it was nice and I got to eat. It was not worth the $25 they charged. Plus I didn't get offered any dessert :( Everyone else had a huge selection of desserts.

I am never, ever, going out to a lunch again. I don't care if it makes me an unsociable misfit and outcast. It is easier being that then being dealt like you are a nusiciance andf a pain just because your body cannot handle gluten!

Yes I should be more positive, I will be. It is downright discouraging. If you are not a coealiac or gluten intolerant - please think about what it is like to never have a choice on a menu.

No comments: